Ironman Steelhead 70.3

Ironman Steelhead 70.3
Ironman Steelhead 70.3

Monday, February 28, 2011

Chain Reaction Part One

Eleven years ago today I walked on a treadmill for 10 minutes.  This event, without my knowing it at the time, was the first link of an ongoing chain reaction.  But thinking back the first link would have been me sitting on the coach with a half eaten bag of potato chips, thinking to myself I feel like crap, I am unhealthy and I have to do something about this.  At this time my weight was 300 pounds and the only form of regular activity was mowing the lawn when I absolutely had to. 

This chain is still going on, I didn’t start out thinking that I wanted to race in an Ironman Triathlon I just wanted to be able to lean down and tie my shoes.

In the coming months I hope to recount the major links in this chain that brought me to where I am today.  Becoming an Ironman doesn’t happen overnight. 

Me in 2000

4 comments:

  1. Brad, this is revealing and honest of you. If it weren't posted here, I wouldn't have recognized you from the photo. You were a very cool fat man, however, in an artistic pose in front of your block of granite (if I'm interpreting the photo correctly). Ten minutes on the treadmill, eh? Recognizing that as a link in the chain of activity that brought you where you are is a surprise to me. Thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to more of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jennifer, You are vary close, its sandstone, the finished sculpture is still in our living room. or you can also look at it here http://www.brad-cook.com/content.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and the sandstone were raw, unpolished. With much work and dedication you stripped that rock and yourself of all the unnecessary burden. You transformed both into incredible works of inspiration! You continue to motivate me and force me to work on myself. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look forward to seeing the work with my own eyes rather than through a camera lens. Figure sculpture is my favorite. Thanks for letting me know more about your work. Quiet guys can be especially surprising.

    ReplyDelete