Ironman Steelhead 70.3

Ironman Steelhead 70.3
Ironman Steelhead 70.3

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Chain Reaction Part 2


At my April 24, 2000 doctor’s appointment my weight was only down to 297, in the last 3 months I only lost 3 pounds.  I was trying to exercise 3 times a week.  Exercise was exhausting, walking up stairs made me tired.  I was carrying an extra hundred pounds around all the time.  I felt I wasn’t making any progress because I wasn’t loosing as fast as I wanted to.  Most of my exercise was walking outside.  I also knew I needed to quit smoking but I wanted to fight one battle at a time, dropping some weight first.  In August of 2000 we joined the Y.  Exercising on my own was not working.  I met with a Y trainer who suggested I work on my diet in addition to exercise.  My doctor told me a low fat diet would improve my cholestrol numbers, but that was another battle.  I was only concerned about the number on the scale, I didn’t think about athletic ability in 2000.  I just wanted to lose weight. 

Early in 2001 I started to research how to exercise for weight loss, this lead me to a heart rate monitor.   I purchased a heart rate monitor so I knew when I was exercising in an aerobic zone.  Once I learned what this zone was for me, the pounds started to drop off.   I still wear a heart rate monitor every time I work out. 

Fall 2000

1 comment:

  1. Brad, you are amazing. This is such a good story. What was your aerobic zone when you started and has it changed? I haven't used a heart monitor for over 35 years and I don't recall any numbers. How have yours changed? I look forward to your posts. I also look forward to John's visit tomorrow. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete