Ironman Steelhead 70.3

Ironman Steelhead 70.3
Ironman Steelhead 70.3

Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Long Run

I ran 90 minutes today.  I plan to increase my weekly long slow run by 15 minutes every other week and try to keep my heart rate at 125-135 beats per minute.  I run 3 to 4 times a week, but I enjoy the long slow run the most.
By mid April I will have increased my long run to 3 hours.  I am training to compete in Forget the PR 25k, www.mohican50k.com my first big event of 2011.  Forget the PR, is an incredibly difficult 17.1 mile run on the hiking trails at Mohican State Park.   To date my longest trail race has been 8 miles on some of the same trails.   Increasing my long runs increases my endurance, which I will need to complete this event.  I will continue to increase the time of my long runs in preparation for the full marathon I will run at the end of REV3 on September 11th. 

2 comments:

  1. OK, you've written about biking and running, I hope your next post will have something to do with swimming, my favorite heart-rate raiser. I am so impressed with what you can do the deepest winter. Carry on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the 15 minute idea! I might have to steal that one when all of this white stuff is gone!

    I opened up your blog and laughed when I scrolled down and saw the countdown clock. Great minds think alike, I created one of those at work but have not got around to linking it to my blog. I think I will just refer to yours when I need to get motivated.

    Continued luck on your training.

    ReplyDelete