Ironman Steelhead 70.3

Ironman Steelhead 70.3
Ironman Steelhead 70.3

Saturday, January 22, 2011

I want to ride my bike

The winters in Ohio for the most part prevent bike riding because of the possibility of icy spots on the road. I managed to work in about 35 miles on the New Years Day ride hosted by the local bike shop, most if it in the rain, but since then its been all spinning classes at the Y.  If you have never taken a spinning class here’s what happens, you ride a stationary bike while the class leader that tells the group when to peddle fast, when to peddle standing up.  Spinning is a good workout, but does not give the thrill of riding outdoors. 

Running in the winter is no problem, in fact I really enjoy running while it is snowing, its  surreal and relaxing. I have screws on the bottom my shoes, sort of like studs on tires, so I don’t worry about slipping on the ice.  I didn’t let a temperature of 14 degrees keep me from running 9.2 miles today.  



But I miss riding my bike, feeling the wind on my face and seeing the beauty of the Ohio countryside and I miss the camaraderie that exists within the group of people that I ride with. These people have become some of my best friends, I miss them, I want to ride my bike.

2 comments:

  1. I hear ya! Getting a little stir crazy myself :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take John M with you, he's desperately in need of biking.

    ReplyDelete