Ironman Steelhead 70.3

Ironman Steelhead 70.3
Ironman Steelhead 70.3

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Forget the PR

Last weekend I ran a race called Forget the PR a trail run through Mohican State Park.  This race is very popular and sold out in just 26 days. 

One of the reasons I wanted to do a long event in the spring was to test a nutrition plan for my upcoming triathlons.  During the race I wanted to use Hammer Perpetuem, which is liquid fuel for endurance events, I just call it “mud”.  I wanted to use this as my only form of nutrition to see how my body would react.  Mud worked great, I never felt hungry and maintained good energy levels throughout the race.

I was new to this event and I didn’t know exactly what to expect.  I was familiar with some of the trails because I mountain bike on them.  The first aid station was at the fire tower which was about 5 miles in.  I told my wife I would get to this point in about an hour, it took me longer because I slowed down on the section the race director calls big ass hill and it was.  From there the trail made its way down to the covered bridge aid station.  Both of these aid stations were well stocked with food and friendly volunteers.  Thanks to everyone who helped me along the way.  My wife was waiting there with a wonderful smile and encouraging word.  I refilled my water bottles and headed out to the Lyons Falls loop; parts of this section were more like extreme hiking than trail running.  I made my way up a ravine to the base of Little Lyons Falls where I climbed up tree roots like a ladder to reach the top.  Next I ran to Pleasant Hill Dam, up the road then back on trails to Big Lyons Falls, returning to the covered bridge aid station.  As I was running towards the aid station I saw friends Greg and Dee taking pictures. 



Leaving the aid station I had to cross the Mohican River.  The water was thigh deep and startling cold.  As I started in the water I saw Samuel who was sitting on the rocks under the bridge watching the runners cross the river.  I walked carefully to maintain good footing to make sure I didn’t fall in.  My legs were cold I didn’t want the rest of me in the freezing water.   My wife was waiting on the other side with dry shoes and socks.  I quickly changed, drank some mud talked to Greg, Dee and Samuel before starting the last 5 miles.

Photo by Dee Brandes

I finished the 17.35 mile trail run in 4 hours 2 minutes.  This was a little slower than I thought I would do, but it was a very enjoyable run.  At the finish line there was hot soup, sandwiches and beer.  I am already looking forward to doing this event again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment